Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    I asked animal for a room picture to see what he has to work with.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Captquint View Post

      Correct. Is this deer processing building a normal room?
      You really have a hard time keeping up with the scope of the discussion, don't you?

      We are not talking about wiring a room, we are talking about an alternate way to supply electrical power to a single 12 VDC winch, which to date, has only been powered by a single 12 volt battery.

      Rather than participate with the rest of the class you should remain silent and try to learn. Remember the old proverb:

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."


      You are riding the second part.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by animal View Post
        Okay, so I thought this was a pretty simple question. Let me set it up first.

        I have a place at the ranch where we hang deer to process. To raise and lower them I use an old winch that is wired to be run from a truck battery. Right now I use a marine battery and a solar panel to keep it charged. Since all of that, I have run power out to this place for lights and a couple of outlets. Now. I want to be able to run that winch from a 110 ac outlet.

        What is the easiest way to convert 110 v ac to 12 v dc in order to do this? Google searches have come up with a few $15 or $20 power converters that go from an ac plug to a cigarette lighter. But I've noticed that they all also have amp ratings (ie. 5 amps, 6 amps, 10 amps, etc). I have no idea how many amps that winch pulls when its operating, but i'm thinking it has to be way more than 10 amps. Any suggestions?
        Originally posted by flew View Post

        We are not talking about wiring a room, we are talking about an alternate way to supply electrical power to a single 12 VDC winch, which to date, has only been powered by a single 12 volt battery.
        Try to keep up dullard

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by animal View Post
          Okay, so I thought this was a pretty simple question. Let me set it up first.

          I have a place at the ranch where we hang deer to process. To raise and lower them I use an old winch that is wired to be run from a truck battery. Right now I use a marine battery and a solar panel to keep it charged. Since all of that, I have run power out to this place for lights and a couple of outlets. Now. I want to be able to run that winch from a 110 ac outlet.

          What is the easiest way to convert 110 v ac to 12 v dc in order to do this? Google searches have come up with a few $15 or $20 power converters that go from an ac plug to a cigarette lighter. But I've noticed that they all also have amp ratings (ie. 5 amps, 6 amps, 10 amps, etc). I have no idea how many amps that winch pulls when its operating, but i'm thinking it has to be way more than 10 amps. Any suggestions?
          Originally posted by Captquint View Post

          Correct. Is this deer processing building a normal room?
          Originally posted by Flew View Post

          You really have a hard time keeping up with the scope of the discussion, don't you?

          We are not talking about wiring a room, we are talking about an alternate way to supply electrical power to a single 12 VDC winch, which to date, has only been powered by a single 12 volt battery.

          Rather than participate with the rest of the class you should remain silent and try to learn. Remember the old proverb:

          "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."


          You are riding the second part.
          Originally posted by Captquint View Post

          Try to keep up dullard
          I rest my case

          Comment


          • #65
            Animal, you back from the ranch? get the info on wench?

            Comment


            • #66
              Animal, we run our game hoist off a 15 amp breaker.
              It has never tripped once.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by DiverTexas View Post
                Animal, we run our game hoist off a 15 amp breaker.
                It has never tripped once.
                If he buys a new winch already wired for 120 he's fine.

                But from what I can gather from the original post, and correct me if I'm wrong, is he wanted to hook up a 120V to 12V converter to run the winch. Most of these, unless you get into some major money, will not put out enough amperage on the 12V side to run the winch.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by DiverTexas View Post
                  Animal, we run our game hoist off a 15 amp breaker.
                  It has never tripped once.
                  Is that even when you're running your vibrator on it as well?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    here's a calculator

                    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...-inverter.html

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by franktafl View Post
                      Good find. But in this case it's AC to DC.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by megman View Post

                        If he buys a new winch already wired for 120 he's fine.

                        But from what I can gather from the original post, and correct me if I'm wrong, is he wanted to hook up a 120V to 12V converter to run the winch. Most of these, unless you get into some major money, will not put out enough amperage on the 12V side to run the winch.
                        If that is the case, you are right.
                        My winch has always been 120V.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I reread the OP, I see you are trying to convert AC to DC.
                          Just spend $160.00 and buy the 880 lb. hoist from Cabelas and save your money on a high dollar inverter.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by DiverTexas View Post
                            I reread the OP, I see you are trying to convert AC to DC.
                            Just spend $160.00 and buy the 880 lb. hoist from Cabelas and save your money on a high dollar inverter.
                            or save a few more bucks & get this one from Home Depot for $141:

                            http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by megman View Post

                              Good find. But in this case it's AC to DC.
                              AC Voltage VAC
                              AC Amperage Amps AC (enter mAh as .xyz)
                              Wattage 1800 Watts
                              DC Voltage 12 V 24 V 36 V 48 V
                              DC Amperage 165.60 Amps DC

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by FreakShowFanatic View Post

                                or save a few more bucks & get this one from Home Depot for $141:

                                http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds
                                What is what I said in the beginning

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X