Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nissan Plant Workers in Mississippi May Vote Themselves Out of a Job Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nissan Plant Workers in Mississippi May Vote Themselves Out of a Job Today

    The UAW approached black workers to unionize, also causing a racial divide. Boy, this takes me back to the old Pittsburgh days. Big reason it's population is cut in half. Thanks Obama!

    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/yea-or-n...vote-on-union/

  • #2
    Pittsburgh is a pretty happening city now. Don't get it confused with the Pittsburgh of 25 or so years ago, it ain't that city anymore.

    Might want to find another whipping boy for your anti-union rants. Detroit?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FSchmertz View Post
      Pittsburgh is a pretty happening city now. Don't get it confused with the Pittsburgh of 25 or so years ago, it ain't that city anymore.

      Might want to find another whipping boy for your anti-union rants. Detroit?
      Speaking of...I just heard the news that 1/2 of Detroits mayoral candidates running are convicted felons. Can you imagine? LuLz!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by s.murph View Post

        Speaking of...I just heard the news that 1/2 of Detroits mayoral candidates running are convicted felons. Can you imagine? LuLz!
        Glad I could help.

        Comment


        • #5
          If your company spends resources on getting people to avoid unions chances are you should join a union.

          Comment


          • #6
            I used to supervise people who made 120k per year literally putting a ring on a component and pushing 2 buttons. Unions: fuck yeah!

            Comment


            • #7
              Pittsburgh is a happening place but is it still a union oriented city? Downtown the steel mills were all torn down and retail / restaurants put in their place.
              Nice city though. Seems it's exceptionally tech oriented today with Carnegie Mellon and Pitt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Beagleman View Post
                Pittsburgh is a happening place but is it still a union oriented city? Downtown the steel mills were all torn down and retail / restaurants put in their place.
                Nice city though. Seems it's exceptionally tech oriented today with Carnegie Mellon and Pitt.
                Nope, not a blue-collar-y type city anymore.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Beagleman View Post
                  Pittsburgh is a happening place but is it still a union oriented city? Downtown the steel mills were all torn down and retail / restaurants put in their place.
                  Nice city though. Seems it's exceptionally tech oriented today with Carnegie Mellon and Pitt.
                  And gay as fuck!...Not that there's anything wrong with that. I lived in Millvale on the Ohio River when I 1st got married. There was an underpass on the outskirts of town where the mob dumped bodies. Now they turned into a park and line it up with food trucks for the Yippies.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FSchmertz View Post
                    Nope, not a blue-collar-y type city anymore.
                    No shit. Know why? When I grew up there, the mills were coveted jobs. Then about every year these guys went on strike for more and more money. Then I started noticing trainloads full of smashed junk cars rolling out. I asked a friend what's up. He said the ship them to Japan to be smelted into new steel. There was a running joke back in the day that "Todays Studebaker is tomorrows 2 Toyotas".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by s.murph View Post

                      No shit. Know why? When I grew up there, the mills were coveted jobs. Then about every year these guys went on strike for more and more money. Then I started noticing trainloads full of smashed junk cars rolling out. I asked a friend what's up. He said the ship them to Japan to be smelted into new steel. There was a running joke back in the day that "Todays Studebaker is tomorrows 2 Toyotas".
                      I don't think they send them to Japan anymore.

                      Mostly China, which apparently is like the U.S. of the late 1800's/early 1900's, as the air isn't breathable. But they have lots of people to replace those who die early of lung disease, and they really don't give a shit about their worker-peons anyhow.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FSchmertz View Post

                        I don't think they send them to Japan anymore.

                        Mostly China, which apparently is like the U.S. of the late 1800's/early 1900's, as the air isn't breathable. But they have lots of people to replace those who die early of lung disease, and they really don't give a shit about their worker-peons anyhow.
                        Thanks NIXON..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FSchmertz View Post

                          I don't think they send them to Japan anymore.

                          Mostly China, which apparently is like the U.S. of the late 1800's/early 1900's, as the air isn't breathable. But they have lots of people to replace those who die early of lung disease, and they really don't give a shit about their worker-peons anyhow.
                          Pretty much. But the Chinese aren't stoopid, and talk a great environmental game. Just like our liberal "leaders" here. This is a NYT article dated July 2017:

                          These Chinese corporations are building or planning to build more than 700 new coal plants at home and around the world, some in countries that today burn little or no coal, according to tallies compiled by Urgewald, an environmental group based in Berlin. Many of the plants are in China, but by capacity, roughly a fifth of these new coal power stations are in other countries.
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/01/c...te-change.html

                          So China is taking a leadership role in environmentalism, by creating coal-dependent countries. And handwringers here say that the US is worse than the Chinese, by losing our leadership position.

                          It takes pretzel logic to go along with the Paris Accords, unless your skid will get greased. And everyone's does, except the American taxpayer, and American manufacturing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Paris Accord was yet another boondoggle designed to suck Obama & that other idiot Kerry into giving away taxpayer money. Hell! It wasn't theirs so who cares>?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by s.murph View Post
                              The UAW approached black workers to unionize, also causing a racial divide. Boy, this takes me back to the old Pittsburgh days. Big reason it's population is cut in half. Thanks Obama!

                              http://www.cbsnews.com/news/yea-or-n...vote-on-union/
                              The collapse of the steel industry is much more complicated than "the unions did it," though they did contribute.

                              It had more to do with global overcapacity, a failure to reinvest and upgrade, declining demand, and foreign dumping of product.

                              And Pittsburgh is s reinvented city, with significant thanks to Pitt and CMU.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X