Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Education debt next bailout?

Actually drinks Tea on2muchcoffee's Avatar

Get rid of federal grants and student loans.

Quote Originally Posted by on2muchcoffee View Post
    Get rid of federal grants and student loans.
    I wouldn't go that far. I think both are a great use of federal resources. I think they generate far more income than they hand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Par10 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. I think both are a great use of federal resources. I think they generate far more income than they hand out.
    They artificially drive up the cost of tuition.

colleges drive up the cost.

Praying for friends, clients, and healing

Just for the record, are we talking about potential bailouts of certain student loans.....or entire student debt?

Answer yes or no to these questions to clarify:

1. If I went to a PRIVATE university, have a ton of debt, but none of it was PUBLIC federal loans of any kind, do I still get a bailout?

2. If I went to a PRIVATE university, have a ton of debt, and some (or all) of it was PUBLIC federal loans, do I still get a bailout? And if so, is it just on the public federal debt...or ALL of my debt?

3. If I went to a PUBLIC, state university, have a ton of debt, but none of it was PUBLIC federal loans of any kind, do I still get a bailout?

4. If I went to a PUBLIC, state university, have a ton of debt, and some (or all) of it was PUBLIC federal loans, do I still get a bailout? And if so, is it just on the public federal debt...or ALL of my debt?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what is "bailout-eligible" and what determines it. Is it the "type" of debt? Is it the "type" of school you went to? Some combination?

I need a custom title! Dallasdude7403's Avatar

They artificially drive up the cost of tuition.

If you want to go that far, then we need to strip the rest to the bone. Abolish all collegiate sports in publicly funded universities. Only like 5% of universities profit off of them. No more stadium funding. No more athletic scholarships. If the Pro Leagues want a Minor League system, let them fund them. Suspend any non-Academic scholarships, and any that aren't Math or Science based. None for any Business, Arts, Music, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasdude7403 View Post
    If you want to go that far, then we need to strip the rest to the bone. Abolish all collegiate sports in publicly funded universities. Only like 5% of universities profit off of them. No more stadium funding. No more athletic scholarships. If the Pro Leagues want a Minor League system, let them fund them. Suspend any non-Academic scholarships, and any that aren't Math or Science based. None for any Business, Arts, Music, etc....
    Agree and don't agree. There should be a Super Bowl league made up of all the teams that are hugely profitable like the SCC and PAC10. Come up with a European Style Soccer format where everyone gets a chance but you got to be top dogs. Funded partly by the entertainment rights and the NFL. I also believe there should be merit based academic scholarships for anything but art, music and sport therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip View Post
    Just for the record, are we talking about potential bailouts of certain student loans.....or entire student debt?

Answer yes or no to these questions to clarify:

1. If I went to a PRIVATE university, have a ton of debt, but none of it was PUBLIC federal loans of any kind, do I still get a bailout?

2. If I went to a PRIVATE university, have a ton of debt, and some (or all) of it was PUBLIC federal loans, do I still get a bailout? And if so, is it just on the public federal debt...or ALL of my debt?

3. If I went to a PUBLIC, state university, have a ton of debt, but none of it was PUBLIC federal loans of any kind, do I still get a bailout?

4. If I went to a PUBLIC, state university, have a ton of debt, and some (or all) of it was PUBLIC federal loans, do I still get a bailout? And if so, is it just on the public federal debt...or ALL of my debt?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what is "bailout-eligible" and what determines it. Is it the "type" of debt? Is it the "type" of school you went to? Some combination?
    I would say only Public Federal Loans incurred while attending a Public or Private University.

Quote Originally Posted by chango View Post
    Agree and don't agree. There should be a Super Bowl league made up of all the teams that are hugely profitable like the SCC and PAC10. Come up with a European Style Soccer format where everyone gets a chance but you got to be top dogs. Funded partly by the entertainment rights and the NFL. I also believe there should be merit based academic scholarships for anything but art, music and sport therapy.
    Maybe I didn't state correctly. None in public universities at all. The Private schools can do what they want. If the NFL etc... want a minor league system, let them open up colleges, that you get degrees in Phys Ed and that's it, and they fund them like private schools.

That is a huge investment. I do not believe the NFL can fund that but I do believe a system like that could be HUGELY profitable.

Why would we abolish what the Colleges do? Simply limit public funding to required courses. If the college wants the rest, they either find a way to pay for it or drop it.

Why would we abolish what the Colleges do? Simply limit public funding to required courses. If the college wants the rest, they either find a way to pay for it or drop it.
    Because they fund it by raising tuition and fees on other students, at least partially, the same with scholarships. That drives up the tuition costs and drives up borrowing.

Quote Originally Posted by chango View Post
    That is a huge investment. I do not believe the NFL can fund that but I do believe a system like that could be HUGELY profitable.
    Let them partner with some smaller private universities. All of the potential pro-athletes go to those, say 10, universities. They have super teams and the athletes don't drag down the overall GPA at regular universities.

Because they fund it by raising tuition and fees on other students, at least partially, the same with scholarships. That drives up the tuition costs and drives up borrowing.
    So? I was only dealing with the part that we, as taxpayers, are a part of.
    No need to go all Lumpy McLumperson here about tuition costs. Colleges will have different costs based on what they offer.
    I just don't see a need to artificially inflate tuition prices by throwing government money into the pile.

As far as I know, federal grants are fixed. It doesn't matter whether you go to Harvard or West Texas. You still get $5,550. To me, this is a good investment. A person with a degree will pay way more in taxes throughout their lives than a person without an education who will most likely suck way more thoughout their lives in other wellfare programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Par10 View Post
    As far as I know, federal grants are fixed. It doesn't matter whether you go to Harvard or West Texas. You still get $5,550. To me, this is a good investment. A person with a degree will pay way more in taxes throughout their lives than a person without an education who will most likely suck way more thoughout their lives in other wellfare programs.
    Now Par, not having a college education is far different than having 'no education'.
    Just because you don't go to college doesn't mean you're automatically on welfare nor does attending college guarantee you won't end up on welfare.
    Now if Federal Grant money was set at $5,500, I would set my base tuition cost at $5,500 and charge upwards from there.
    If I was in it to make money or pay for new shit.

The liberal Sarah Palin birkbott's Avatar

My undergrad loans are basically paid off. I know I'm fucked on my MBA loans, they're private anyway.